8.22.2015

bald head island 2015.

when i began writing this post, i wasn't sure where to start. i looked back at my first post on my blog about bald head island that i wrote back in 2011. i think it's the best way to explain my love affair for this place.

"there is a small little piece of land a few miles off the carolina coast. this island's land area is about 5 square miles and to most people it wouldn't seem like much to brag about. there are no cars allowed on this island - it is only accessible by a ferry boat and once on the island, your mode of transportation is a golf cart. there is a grocery store,  two restaurants, two country clubs, a few retail stores, a church, a post office & a beautiful light house.

my family started coming to this island when i was 3 or 4. we had just moved from charleston to charlotte and somehow my parents stumbled upon this island. at the time, there wasn't much there. no grocery store, no retail stores, no post office, only one country club.

until last weekend, i hadn't been to this island in over 5 years. i could try & explain to you how great it was to be back but i'd never be able to. this island has been through so much with me & i have been through so much with it. i've watched the island change & grow over the past 20 years but i've never stopped loving it. no matter how many people now know about my little piece of heaven. no matter how many new houses there are and no matter how populated it gets. i will forever cherish this island.

i could go on for days - go on explaining the memories. there has been so much - so many families- my parents together, my parents apart, my new step dad & his family, my new step mom & her family, my best friends. my life.

this island is called bald head island. and it is forever mine."

it was so wonderful to spend a whole WEEK at bald head with my family & daniel. i loved sharing BHI with daniel for the first time. let's be honest, he didn't have any choice but to love it after the way we hyped it up :) our week consisted of a lot of time with my niece, mary emerson, puzzles, celebrating my 27th birthday, home cooking, beach days, daily rain storms, too many beers, an awesome scavenger hunt, and plenty of relaxation. join me on a picture tour of BHI and a few pictures of our week there.



{one of the ferrys docked on the island side}


{mojo's is 1 of 2 restaurants on the island. this building has always housed a restaurant which used to be called eb & flo's}



{the post office}


{the chapel}



{daniel's first trip up old baldy!}



{our neighborhood for the week}







{my birthday dinner}










until next time, sweet bhi <3

No comments:

Post a Comment